Hamill Manufacturing Company has a full-time employment opportunity as a Manufacturing Engineer available.
We are an established company that provides machined products to the U.S. Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program as well as commercial customers.
Hamill offers an excellent benefits package that includes health insurance, dental and vision, and a 401(k) plan with up to a 4% company match. In addition, Hamill offers employees stock in the company as part of its ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan). As part of the ESOP, each employee is an owner of the company and has a voice on how the company operates. Hamill is an employee-owned and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Hamill is an equal opportunity employer of protected veterans.
All candidates MUST BE United States citizens
A Manufacturing Engineer (ME) oversees and is responsible for assigned jobs from the proposal phase through award and kick-off to production and final shipping and closeout of job. The ME’s primary function is to ensure the work is quoted properly and progresses smoothly and correctly to ship on time, at or under budget, and in accordance with the customer requirements. In essence, the Manufacturing Engineer is the team leader responsible for the successful completion of the project and is expected to drive the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the proposal process by:
- Reviewing requests for proposals, both technically and commercially.
- Developing an effective and cost-efficient method of manufacturing for all components and assemblies of each inquiry.
- Developing bill of material (BOM) and subcontract requirements for supplier/vendor quotes.
- Obtaining and reviewing vendor quotes, working within Hamill’s Purchasing procedures.
- When required, interfacing with all Hamill departments to assure time and risks are identified.
- Working with engineering to make drawings and sketches, as needed for quoting.
- Developing target/market price based on past order history.
- Making recommendations for cost reductions.
- Preparing and reviewing Epicor and Job Travelers, in a detailed manner, to allow expedited order processing upon award.
- Preparing final quote packages for management approval and customer submittal in a timely manner.
- Interfacing with customers during proposal process in order to clarify technical/commercial questions and build customer relationships.
- Upon receipt of order, perform order review to assure compliance with quote – e.g., due dates, document revisions, document availability, order quantity, quality requirements, etc. Resolve any discrepancies with customers and acknowledge if acceptable and approved by the Director Cust Dev/Eng.
- Responsible for the customer order execution and delivery by:
- Setting up Shop Orders.
- Holding contract Turnover/Kick Off Meetings with project team members and set dates for deliverables.
- identify material options for Engineering MODs and Purchasing
- identify new and/or revised drawings and procedures
- identify quality hold/witness points
- identify contract/quality requirements
- Defining software submittal requirements, generate purchasing requirements for raw materials and subcontracting (Work Scopes), working in conjunction with other departments.
Administering all assigned jobs according to the plan with the aid of Project Administrators, Production Controller and others as required.
- Working with Production Controller to set and maintain schedule. Establishing, setting and managing to an administrative schedule, with the help of Project Administrator, to support manufacturing and delivery schedules.
- Taking the lead in all customer meetings, calls, and reviews.
Providing direction to the Project Administrators for administrative tasks required for the project, assuring that all contract files are maintained.
- Reviewing and knowing customer requirements, as set forth by customer contract/purchase order and all customer-provided documentation.
- Reviewing and/or preparing engineering layout, work scope, and Job Travelers which includes; manufacturing operations, sequence, and overall plan.
- Reviewing, understanding and approving Epicor cost data to ensure proposal scope and actual work scope outlined in the customer’s contract/purchase order are identical.
- Providing direction to assigned buyer to assure material will support the lead times required for the project.
- Resolving any technical and commercial issues with aid from other departments. If necessary, obtain management approval of recommended course of action.
- Maintaining constant awareness of all aspects of performance, including financial performance, on all projects assigned, making management aware of potential issues and/or cost impacts.
- Working with Project Administrators to effect contract closeouts.
- Establish and follow/execute progress/performance-based billing schedules.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Analytical: Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service: Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal: Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Quality Management: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Diversity: Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works ethically and with integrity, and upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports the organization’s goals and values; benefits the organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative: Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation: Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Judgment: Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in the decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation: Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures; uses equipment and materials properly.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-year associate degree from technical trade school or a minimum of 2-years of on-the-job experience in related field (machining/manufacturing).
- Machinist background is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of both manual and current CNC machine tools and their capabilities.
- Ability to interpret 2D manufacturing drawings, including GD&T.
Language Ability: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
Math Ability: Ability to calculate figures and amounts. Ability to read manufacturing drawings.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software; Microsoft Project Software; Internet browser software; Epicor ERP software; CAD software and Electronic Mail software.
ertificates and Licenses: No specified certificate or license is required of this position.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to type, file and assemble papers, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop or kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.